Thursday, May 3, 2012

I've always had a love affair with ship models. I must have built a four or five Cutty Sarks and several Constitutions in my life, both plastic and wood.


When I lived in Salem, Mass. the Essex Museum was down the street and free for residents. It contained ship models, half models, paintings, and drawings of all the boats that left Salem for the China trade. I averaged twice weekly visits and marveled at the quality of the models. And, these were built before Elmers glue, ACC and Polly Scale paints. I learned to paint fairly good-looking water by studying the dozens of ship paintings in the Museum. (These were called Documents and were presented to Lloyd's of London as proof the ship, in fact, did exist. And, what it looked like so they could insure it.)


These O scale ship models in the above photo are built in Greece or China or sell for about $75.00. A real bargain if you're ever tried to start AND complete one of these.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have a ship model to. But I would want it to be that of old version ship models. The ones that soldiers ride on with cannons firing big iron cannon balls.
    go to this link

    ReplyDelete